Modern Slavery Act Statement
This statement is made pursuant to section 54(1) of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and sets out the steps Bright Horizons Family Solutions Limited (and its affiliated group companies) have taken and will continue to take to address the risk of modern slavery or human trafficking occurring within its business.
Definition of Modern Slavery
According to a human rights charity, there are an estimated 40.3 million people in modern slavery around the world (see Antislavery International at https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-today/modern-slavery/).
Modern slavery is a serious crime. It encompasses slavery, servitude, and forced or compulsory labour and human trafficking. Victims of modern slavery can often face more than one type of abuse and slavery, for example if they are sold to another trafficker and then forced into another form of exploitation. A person is trafficked if they are brought to (or moved around) a country by others who threaten, frighten, hurt and force them to do work or other things they don’t want to do.
About Bright Horizons
At Bright Horizons, our legacy is built on our commitment to Keeping Everyone Safe and providing exceptional care and education, delivered by our Mission in Motion. Each day, we are trusted to care for nearly 24,000 children across more than 300 unique learning environments. With more than 10,000 employees and 500 apprentices, we’re very proud to be recognised as a Great Place to Work for 13 consecutive years, to have achieved our RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) Gold Award for 7 consecutive years, and to be recognised as Investors In Diversity.
At Bright Horizons, we are guided by our HEART Values and Principles. Our Values and Principles are quite literally at the heart of our organisation’s ethos and culture, and identify how each member of Bright Horizons’ family contributes to the whole.
- Honesty: We openly communicate in a sincere and genuine way. We have a voice and the courage to address concerns. We are always truthful, listening and taking action.
- Excellence: We are relentless in our desire to create environments where our families and colleagues feel special, unique and important. We always give our best and work together to deliver extraordinary customer service.
- Accountability: We learn from our mistakes and admit when we are wrong. We provide feedback and take action. We ask questions, seek solutions and embrace new ideas.
- Respect: We recognise and appreciate the value everyone brings. We are polite and helpful to others and create inclusive working environments.
- Teamwork: We are passionate about our ability to work together collectively. We share ideas, support one another and create a welcoming environment, all of which enable us to achieve extraordinary things.
Bright Horizons is committed to preventing modern slavery and human trafficking in all parts of its business. We have implemented systems and controls to help identify risks and prevent slavery and human trafficking within our workforce and supply chain. Due to the nature of our business and our policies, procedures and practices, we feel our overall risk to modern slavery is low.
Bright Horizons’ workforce in the United Kingdom consists mainly of employed staff who are supported as necessary by agency workers.
- We implement robust recruitment and ongoing employment policies and procedures for all of our employees and workers.
- Our recruitment and ongoing employment practices, include checks on identity, right to work, references and criminal records.
- All of our workforce has access to a confidential and anonymous whistleblowing hotline operated by an independent third party and our Whistleblowing training covers Modern Slavery.
Our Supply Chain
Bright Horizons’ supply chain consists of suppliers for food, equipment and other products; services for cleaning, facilities and enrichment offerings; and child/adult care and employment agencies.
- We implement robust policies and procedures for all of our supply chain.
- Our procurement practices include modern slavery risk assessments for each of our supply chain categories.
- Our procurement department receives training on Modern Slavery and conducts due diligence on our suppliers prior to their on-boarding.
- Our Supplier Code of Conduct covers the Modern Slavery Act 2015.
- Our supplier contracts contain Modern Slavery contractual obligations.
Managing Director UK
BRIGHT HORIZONS FAMILY SOLUTIONS LIMITED